Mould Making & Slip Casting Master Class
Simple drop out mould
Simple two part mould
Basic slip casting
Advanced slip casting
Mould Making & Slip Casting Master Master Class
10 Week Mould Making and Slip Casting Master Class.
Learn basic mould making and slip casting techniques
Extend slip casting to altering and joining cast pieces.
- Introduction to what slip casting is about
- What is slip?
- What is potter’s plaster?
- Design and begin to make your simple drop out plug
- Finish your simple drop out plug
- Set up the casting box
- Learn to measure and mix the plaster
- Make your first mould
- Design a two part plug
- Make the plug for a two part mould
- Finishing and cleaning the mould from last week
- Finish the two part plug and cast it
- Design and make plugs for two moulds
- The cast pieces will be joined while wet as a complex slip casting project
- Cast the plugs for the complex slip casting project
- Cast your first two moulds
- Different slip formulas
- The roles of additives in slip
- Time in mould
- Casting your complex slip casting project
- Joining thixotropic clay
- Altering the cast clay
- Cast your first two moulds again
- Finishing work
- Finishing work and glazing
Mould making and slip casting is a huge field. It covers basic moulds that a potter might make, to the multi part ceramics industry moulds right through to all commercial production of anything ceramic. Well done in getting a basic understanding!
Please indicate your interest in the Mould Making and Slip Casting Master Class using this form
Made by Students
Sign Up For Our Newsletter
Sign up for our newsletter to stay in touch regarding classes, workshops, exhibitions, market days, open days and more. Our newsletter also has tips and hints for your pottery skills development!