Nerikome Mini course
February 17 @ 10:00 am - 12:00 pm$315
Nerikome Mini Course – 3 Weeks
Starting Wednesday 17th February 10 – 12 am
Nerikome, neriage, agate ware, marbling are all terms that refer to various types and methods of utilising coloured clay and mixing different colours of clay to make your work.
In this mini course you will learn the basics of using clay that are different colours.
The bags of clay that come to us in from the supplier are naturally different colours – these different colours come from varying amounts of naturally occurring or added oxides such as iron oxide, manganese dioxide, various shades of ochres and other “impurities”.
We can also ad oxide ourselves, or body stains that have been crafted for us to make brighter colours.
- Different types of clay
- Neriage, nerikome, marble and agate ware terms
- Introduction to oxides
- Introduction to Body Stains
- Making a mix of clay from our clay store
- Making coloured porcelain
- Make a vase from “natural” clay
- Using coloured porcelain
- Planning your nerikome block
- Using your nerikome block for making a piece in porcelain
- Basics of glazing
- Underglazes for effect
- Getting the most out of clear glazes
- The effects of zinc in a clear glaze
- Using coloured glazes with your work
All materials and firing are included!
To enjoy this course you should already know how to make pottery by hand (or on the wheel) at a basic level.
Please bring your own hand towel.