Mould Making Masterclass
October 8 @ 6:00 pm - 9:00 pm$850
10 Week Intensive Course
Beginning October 8th 6 – 9 pm
Learn basic mould making and slip casting techniques.
This course is for the potters who want to add slip casting to their repertoire or want to learn how to cast moulds to extend their hand building capacity.
Beginners can do this course, however basic clay handling skills would be ideal to help shape the plugs in clay!
- Introduction to what slip casting is about
- What is slip?
- What is potter’s plaster?
- Design and begin to make your simple drop out plug
- Finish your simple drop out plug
- Set up the casting box
- Learn to measure and mix the plaster
- Make your first mould
- Design a two part plug
- Make the plug for a two part mould
- Finishing and cleaning the mould from last week
- If dry enough – pour a cast in the simple drop out mould – learn about thickness, and draining the slip
- Finish the two part plug and cast it – two processes – making the mould halves lock – pouring allowances
- Pour the simple drop out mould – learn about coloured slip
- Keeping your work clean
- Design and make plugs for two moulds – eg a vase and a bowl – design them so they will be joinable
- Refine plugs
- Pour the two part mould if its dry enough
- Finish the two plugs and cast them for the complex slip casting project
- Pour any moulds that are dry enough
- Cast your moulds
- Different slip formulas – make coloured slip
- The roles of additives in slip
- Time in mould
- Mix a slip
- Make a slump or drape mould
- Casting your complex slip casting project
- Joining thixotropic clay
- Altering the cast clay
- Casting your moulds again
- Use slump or drape mould to hand build
- Finishing work
- Finishing work and glazing
The course fees are $850 fully inclusive of clay and all firings and materials. The moulds can be purchaed at the end of the course if you wish to keep them for yourself – $10 for a cup or small bowl size – otherwise the moulds will stay in the studio for general use!