- This event has passed.
Mould Making Intensive Workshop
August 22, 2021 @ 9:00 am - 5:00 pm$310.00
Make a Keep Cup Mould Workshop Full Day Intensive
Sunday 22nd August 9 am – 5 pm
In this workshop we will go through all the processes for successfully making keep cup moulds and slip casting them.
Session One 9 – 11am
- Shape a centred lump of clay into the keep cup “plug”
- Work out measurements, dimensions, shrinkage considerations and pour off areas
- Easy mould release considerations
- Finish of the plug
Session Two 11:30 am – 1:30 pm
- The framework for the mould casting
- Setting the plug
- Sealing the framework
- Mixing plaster (where to buy it, how to prepare it and keep it, working out quantity
- Pouring the plaster mould
Session Three 3:30 – 4:30 pm (plus clean up and finish time)
- Mixing casting slip (thixotropicity, additives and why), sieving and standing
- Specific gravity and how to get the correct consistency – making adjustments – slip flaws
- Making coloured slip
- Using coloured slip and pouring a premade cup mould
Armed with this knowledge you will be able to make a variety of keep cup moulds yourself – this can be a very rewarding business when you get your sizing and consistency going! Put your spin on the cups, the colours, the glazes and go from there!
Please bring lunch, drinks and a hand towel.