- This event has passed.
Introduction to Sculpture Short Course
October 7, 2020 @ 6:00 pm - 9:00 pm$450
Introduction to Sculpture Short Course – 5 Weeks
Starting Wednesday 7th October 6 – 9 pm
The Introduction to Sculpture Short Course will prepare you to move into more advanced sculpture classes as you will learn the most common techniques to build in clay, mix clay with other media, and understand shrinkage, firing and dimensional issues with using clay as a sculptural medium.
- Basic modelling
- Learn how to use a single piece of clay to pinch out a figurine
- Anatomy and the difference it makes to representing your form
- Using images (Pinterest) to plan the form
- Using pinch potting to create small to medium sized work
- Work flow for all sculptural work
- Controlling clay dryness and wetness and thixotropity
- Using coiling to make medium sized work
- Work flow for coiling
- Working quickly to create the form
- Finishing off work with texture, additions,
- Making alterations when the form is not what you were looking for
- Sculpting at scale (theory and discussion)
- Using armaments and props (when and when not to)
- Making a small piece from many sections, joined later with wire
- Using mixed media
- Attachment methods
- Planning considerations
- Finishing work
Where to from here?
Towards the end of 2020 we will run and advanced sculpting class that will go through the process of planning, applying and developing the maquette and executing the main work. The focus of this course will be applying for Swell 2021.
$450 fully inclusive – all clay and glaze materials, some tools, and all firings. You may need to find mixed media items for your work.
Your teacher is Cherie Noble – Masters in Visual Arts, exhibiting “Polly” and “Bower”.