Introduction to Pottery Short Course
May 26 @ 9:30 am - 12:30 pm$525
Introduction to Pottery Short Course – 5 Weeks
Starting Wednesday 26th May 9:30 am – 12:30 pm
This short course is a wonderful opportunity to get acquainted to clay as we cover some of the most common methods to make in clay!
You will also learn the basics of underglazes and glazing your work.
The course also includes unlimted access to the Community Clay sessions and Open Studio (bookings required) to practice and finish your work!
Here is what you will learn:
- About clay
- Flatware – rolling clay the many tricks for success
- Texture for decoration – make your makers mark stamp
- Make simple slump plates
- Make Japanese press plates
- Pinch pots – make candle holders, tea light holders or mini succulent pots
- Slip casting – learn about slip and coloured clay
- Make a keep cup
- Coil build project – make a planter, bowl, sculpture or vase!
- Learn about underglazing and dipping in clear glaze
- Learn about slab building
- Make a set of slab built cups
- Learn about the rules of using the coloured glazes
- Have a lesson using the potters wheel
- Make a couple of masterpieces on the wheel (we will trim them and finish them for you)
- Finish glazing all othe work that has come out of the bisque kiln
Use your Open Studio passes to come into the studio over the next week or so to finish off all your work.
Here is an example of all of the things you might make in this course:
This course will teach you enough skills that you can move into Community Clay and have enough confidence to keep making and learning. Or, you could do mini courses, short courses or master classes to learn more in depth the subjects you liked the most!
Please bring your own hand towel to class!