- This event has passed.
Introduction to Pottery – Level Two – Start Thursday PM 22nd August
August 22, 2019 @ 6:00 pm - 9:00 pm$300
Introduction to Pottery – Level Two – “Decorate” – Start Thursday Evenings 22nd August
6 – 9 pm
Fast track your pottery knowledge and skills with this structured course building on the skills gained in the Intro to Pottery – Level One course.
Spend more time developing your own designs within the design brief. Learn more about glazing and decorating. Be amazed at how far your work develops in such a short period of time!
Five Week Intensive Course
- Glazing 101
- Preparing for glazing
- Underglazes – under and over
- Glaze application
- Glazing rules for non-stick pots!
- Make a vase and a plate with coloured slip ready for Sgraffito next week
- Homework – prepare your design for sgraffito
- Execute the sgraffito design
- Coloured clay – how to make it and how to use it
- Introduction to Nerikome – make a small bowl
- Introduction to slip trailing
- Using a variety of clay types – theory about clay and practice using different clay
- Homework – design a tea or coffee set – either slab or pinch pot – including surface treatment – tray, pot, cups, accessories…
- Build the tea set – use different clay!
- Slab build and/or pinch pot your tea set
- Using washi paper – plus theory on decals and lustre firing
- Homework – design a complex slab built structure – including surface treatment and embellishments – include washi paper designs, sgraffito, nerikome, slip trailing, mixed clay types
- Construct a complex slab built design
- Clay embellishments
- Make a small project for piercing and carving
- Learn about the kilns and firing processes
- Piercing and carving
- Introduction to sculpture
- Finish your work
- Use wax resist in glazing
- Use a combination of glazes and underglazes
- Complimentary Open Studio Session
- Sgraffito Tools
- Half sheet of washi paper
- Some secret bonuses!!
If you miss a class we can arrange a make up class at a mutually convenient time.
All inclusive – clay, glazes and firings are all included.