- This event has passed.
Introduction to Pottery – Level One and Level Two – Saturday – July/August
July 20 @ 9:00 am - 12:00 pm$500
Buy Both Level One and Level Two and Save $80!
Introduction to Pottery – Level One
Starts Saturday 20th July – 9 am – 12 noon
The best way to start your pottery journey is with a series of focussed mini courses to show you all the basics and introduce you to some clay possibilities.
Five Week Intensive Course
- Types of Clay
- Rolling clay by hand
- Creating & using textures
- Slump and drape moulds to make plates and bowls
- Japanese press plates and free form platters
- Obtaining a professional finish
- Pinch pots
- Bud vases
- Spice dishes
- Cup, saucer and spoon
- The clay workflow
- Cups – design a simple template
- Soft and firm slab building
- Introduction to Slip Casting
- Building with slabs and coils
- Build a jewellery box
- Build a tall vase with a narrow neck
- Introduction to basic glazing
- Introduction to porcelain
Introduction to Pottery – Level Two – Start Saturday 20th August
9 am – 12 noon
Fast track your pottery knowledge and skills with this structured course building on the skills gained in the Intro to Pottery – Level One course.
Spend more time developing your own designs within the design brief. Learn more about glazing and decorating. Be amazed at how far your work develops in such a short period of time!
Five Week Intensive Course
- Glazing 101
- Preparing for glazing
- Underglazes – under and over
- Glaze application
- Glazing rules for non-stick pots!
- Make a vase and a plate with coloured slip ready for Sgraffito next week
- Homework – prepare your design for sgraffito
- Execute the sgraffito design
- Coloured clay – how to make it and how to use it
- Introduction to Nerikome – make a small bowl
- Introduction to slip trailing
- Using a variety of clay types – theory about clay and practice using different clay
- Homework – design a tea or coffee set – either slab or pinch pot – including surface treatment – tray, pot, cups, accessories…
- Build the tea set – use different clay!
- Slab build and/or pinch pot your tea set
- Using washi paper – plus theory on decals and lustre firing
- Homework – design a complex slab built structure – including surface treatment and embellishments – include washi paper designs, sgraffito, nerikome, slip trailing, mixed clay types
- Construct a complex slab built design
- Clay embellishments
- Make a small project for piercing and carving
- Learn about the kilns and firing processes
- Piercing and carving
- Introduction to sculpture
- Finish your work
- Use wax resist in glazing
- Use a combination of glazes and underglazes
- Complimentary Open Studio Session
- Sgraffito Tools
- Half sheet of washi paper
- Some secret bonuses!!
If you miss a class we can arrange a make up class at a mutually convenient time.
All inclusive – clay, glazes and firings are all included.