- This event has passed.
Introduction to Pottery 10 Week Intensive
October 10 @ 9:30 am - 12:30 pm$650
Introduction to Pottery 10 Week Intensive Course
Thursday 10th Oct 9:30 am – 12:30 pm
The best way to start your pottery journey is with an Intensive Course that will teach you the major methods of hand building and decorating with clay.
Throughout this journey you will make some amazing pottery, however, it’s not just about WHAT you make, but the skills your learn along the way. You will mover quickly from beginner to amazing potter very quickly. Many of our graduates from this 10 week course are already supplementing their income with markets and online sales of their work!
Ten Week Intensive Course
Week One – Stage One
In the first half of this course we focus on building your clay skills and introduce the most common hand building techniques. While we give you the basic project and form you are creating, we encourage you to fulfil the idea in your very own way!
- Types of Clay
- Rolling clay by hand
- Creating & using textures
- Template bowls and plates
- Japanese press plate soap dish and incense burner
- Slump moulded bowl
- Obtaining a professional finish
- The clay workflow
- Pinch pots
- Make a tea set – tea pot, pinch pot cups, saucers or a tray to hold it all!
- Cups – design a simple template
- Soft slab building
- Introduction to Slip Casting and coloured clay.
- Building with slabs and coils
- Build a jewellery box
- Build a tall vase with a narrow neck
- Introduction to basic glazing
- Introduction to porcelain – time permitting, make a pair of earring, a small porcelain cup, or something similar.
Week Six – Stage Two
In the second half of this course you are given design briefs and it is up to you how you fulfil the design brief! You can make what you want while you learn more about clay, glazing and decoration techniques.
- Basic glaze chemistry
- Understanding colourants used in pottery
- Body stains
- Different clay bodies
- Make a tall vessel and a flat item for sgraffito
- Homework – design for sgraffito
- Sgraffito and the tools used for it
- Underglaze washi paper transfers
- Slip Trailing
- Make a small Japanese press plate to test washi and slip trailing
- Homework – design for a set
- Make a set
- What makes it a set?Tie it together with form, clay, glaze, decoration….
- Demonstration – glazing techniques – wax resist, how to test glaze combos
- Homework – design for an advanced slab built project
- Make your advanced slab built project
- Work with the clay, desired glaze effects, and decoration ideas
- Make a small piece for piercing
- Homework – design for piercing
- Homework – research small sculpted items
- Piercing and carving
- Introduction to sculpture – pinch and coil
- Finish off work
After finishing this course you will have a really good understanding of the main ways to make pottery by hand. Many people make their entire living off hand made pottery, so find your style, find your niche and get to it!
- Your course fees include a set of basic clay tools, a set of sgraffito tools, and a slip trailer that are yours to keep (value around $60).
- All clay, glaze, basic decorating materials (including a quarter sheet of washi paper), coloured slips, two firings of all your work and other studio materials are all fully included in course fees.
- ***We give you a FREE 10 class pass to Open Studio Classes (valued at $300) so you can maintain work flow and finish projects and glazing in a timely fashion!
- When you finish your course your first purchased 10 class pass included 3 free classes ($90 bonus)!