- This event has passed.
Glaze Chemistry Short Course
May 26 @ 6:00 pm - 9:00 pm$525
Glaze Chemistry Short Course – 5 Week Intensive
Starting Wednesday 26th May 6 – 9 pm
In this course you will learn basic glaze chemistry – why glazes do what they do – what works, why it works, and why it doesn’t work. You will learn about the raw materials, fluxes, colourants, opacifiers, and more. Where to find recipes and how to test them. Different types of glaze – atmospheric conditions, firing cycles, temperatures, and more.
There is no avoiding chemisty when dealing with glazes, however, we have kept this course relatively simple! You will be amazed at how much you can look back on your learning and discover better ways to make and use your own glazes, and extend/understand commercial glazes!
- What is glaze
- What elements are required
- Making test tiles
- Gathering materials and equipment
- Materials Storage
- Where to find glaze recipes
- Find a clear glaze and a matt glaze
- Mix and test both glazes
- Glaze faults
- The 6 main metallic oxides
- Find a bright coloured glaze and test it
- Glaze materials that add punch to your glazes!
- Find a glaze recipe with one or more of these raw materials
- Design a test to discover how the materials work
- What is your favourite glaze type?
- Find a glaze that you like and design a test run with one material
- Design and test run with another material
Please bring your own dust mask (repsirator style recommended), gloves and eye protection, as well as a small hand towel.