Design and Decorate Masterclass
April 21 @ 9:30 am - 12:30 pm$995
Design & Decoration Master Class – 10 Week Course
Starting Tuesday 21th April 9:30 am – 12:30 pm
Don’t just stop at learning how to make pottery! The real joy is in experimenting with decoration techniques and being able to execute your design plans!
Who is this course for?
The perfect next step if you have completed a 5 or 10 week course in potters wheel or hand building!
Those who look at beautiful pots and wonder how they were made – to enrol in this course you should be able to make pottery using the basic hand building or throwing techniques. Not suitable for complete beginners, however you don’t need to be master potters to enjoy this course!
This course is project based. There are 6 projects to complete over the 10 weeks of the course. Each week you receive a design brief for the work to be done – how you execute it is up to you! (The teacher will help you choose!)
The design brief will lead you through a series of more advanced making ideas your building ability – you will deep dive into the decorating techniques of sgraffito, washi transfers, nerikome, slip trailing, piercing and carving, wax resist and more.
You will are encouraged to prepare a mood board for each project and finish your work off with photographs!
- PROJECT ONE
- Design and make a set of bottles, no more than 10 cm tall, for sgraffito
- Apply engobes (colourde slip) to your work
- Begin the execution of the sgraffito design on your work
- Sgraffito tools provided
- PROJECT TWO
- Design and make 4 dishes with foot rings
- Decorate with washi in combination with slips and underglazes.
- Ensure your decoration is “unique” and not just using the washi – find a way to be origional and artistic!
- PROJECT THREE
- Using porcelain nerikome or mixed clay
- Design and build three small hand built forms
- Or learn to throw with mixed clay to create marble ware
- PROJECT FOUR
- Design and make a coffee or tea set
- Use slip trailing, wax resist, textured slips and combinations to enhance texture
- Combine washi, texture, slip training, underglaze, oxide stains and more
- Finish your coffee or tea set
- PROJECT FIVE
- Design and make an elaborate lidded container – should be multiple pieces – add feet, alter the basic form, try unique ways to make the lid
- At least 10cm tall or wide
- Choose decoration – collaborate with your teacher to come up with something unique!
- PROJECT SIX
- Piercing and carving
- Wax resist
- Make three simple forms for piercing, carving and wax resist
- All three techniques on each piece or one piece for each technique!
- Finish piercing, carving and wax resist
- Learn resist techniques for colours and glazes
- Finish off other work
- Finish glazing your work
- Photograph finished work
This course is fully inclusive of all materials and firing. You may choose to purchase your own washi (1 single colour sheet provided) or lustres. You will need your own tools (sgraffito tools and slip trailers provided) – you can purchase what you need at a discounted rate through Firebird Studios.
You will also be able to make individual bookings for Open Studio to finish and glaze your work.