Clay as Canvas
November 17 @ 10:00 am - 4:00 pmFree
Clay as Canvas – Advanced Decorating Workshop
November 17 @ 10:00 am – 4:00 pm
Using clay as your canvas create works of art with advanced surface decorating techniques.
This workshop is suitable for all levels of potter – beginner through to advanced – however, you need to come prepared with 3 pieces of leather hard work, and a couple of bisque fired pieces!
Learn more about texture, coloured clays, engobes, underglazes, glazing, carving, sgraffito and explore interesting ways to use these ideas!
Stage One (Wet):
- Using coloured clay in your construction to set up a different canvas – make a simple form of your choice (body stained clay provided)
Stage Two (Leather Hard):
- Explore engobes, sgraffito, butcher paper transfers, bold ways to mask, slip to create texture (trailing and finger paining)
- Underglazes for design, colour and unusual adaptations – use masks and silk screens with screen print carrier in your underglaze
- Washi used in unusual ways
Stage Three (Bisque Fired):
- Underglaze and washi to change your perspective on a piece
- Use of glazes – wax resist, masking, layering, and very basic glaze chemistry!
We will work for about an hour on each stage! There will be a LOT to cover, so don’t worry if you don’t get everything finished, you can complete it later.
You will need to bring:
- Three pieces of leather hard pottery – cylinders and flatware for variation – preferably plain, no texture – not too large or you won’t make much headway in the class!
- Two or three pieces of bisque fired pottery – cups and mugs, bowls, smaller items
- Please ensure your work is mid-fire clay!!!!!
- Lunch – we will have a one hour break for lunch. Stocklands shopping centre is nearby.
What is provided:
- All decorating materials – slips, engobes, underglazes and glazes.
- Clay for the wet formed work
- Final firing (providing your work is finished and mid fire clay)