- This event has passed.
Alternative Firing Master Class
August 8, 2020 @ 2:00 pm - 6:00 pm$850
Alternative Firing Masterclass
6 Weekend Workshops beginning August 8th
- Build a Wood Kiln – Saturday 8th August 2pm til late – Tyalgum – help Lynda build a small wood fired kiln at Cherie’s property in Tyalgum. You will learn the basic principles of building any kind of flame kiln – the firebox, the firing chamber, flue, chimney and atmosphere control.
- Reduction Firing in the large gas kiln at Firebird Studios – Saturday 15th August – 2 pm til late. We will have some experimental glazes available for reduction firing, or use any commercial cone 6 glaze. Load the kiln, and relax at the studio while the kiln fires (around 5 hours to fire to temp).
- Pit Firing – Saturday 2nd 2 August 2 pm til late – Tyalgum – learn about the wonders of firing in the pit – bring bisque fired pots and found things like copper wire, hessian, and seaweed. Load up the pit, set fire to it, watch the beautiful colours and sit around the campfire having fun for the rest of the evening.
- Wood Firing – Saturday 29th August 2 pm til late – Tyalgum – Load up the kiln (two to three small pots only) and fire away – it is SO much fun firing a wood kiln – late in the evening we will run reduction stages and the flames coming through the kiln are a pure potter pyromaniac’s delight!
- Saggar Firing – Saturday 5th September 2 pm til late – Firebird Studios – Firing in saggars creates a local environment in the kiln. Bring seaweed, pieces of natural wood, banana peels and more. Load up your pots int the saggars (refractory pots with lids) and stack the kiln. The firing will take around 5 hours after loading!
- RAKU Firing – Sunday 12th September at Firebird Studios – 10 am til around 2 pm. Fire your work in our little raku kiln, take it out while its hot, put it into some bins with sawdust and newspaper for a reduction atmosphere, cool off with water! What could go wrong!
- BONUS – When you sign up for the Alternative Firing Masterclass you also get a special workshop just for you in Terra Sigliata for the Raku kiln – the date will be advised. With Terra Sigliata you can use horse hair and feather on your terra sig pots and get a completely different effect!
Numbers are limited to 8 across all workshops – the best way to ensure your spot is to book the Masterclass and have the best winter’s entertainment you could have while getting dirty, smokey and making fires!