- This event has passed.
Advanced Decoration Short Course
January 28 @ 9:30 am - 12:30 pm$525
Advanced Decoration Short Course – Five Weeks
Commencing January 28th 9:30 am – 12:30 pm
In this five week Advanced Decoration Short Course you will learn complex surface decoration techniques to give you even more choice to make your pottery work stand out in the crowd!
You will mostly need to prepare leather hard and bisque fired work before class – you should know how to do this before enrolling in this class!
- Shellac/wax/resist to create texture
- Carving and piercing
- Make and discover your own textures
- Design with texture
- Using underglazes, oxides and glazes with texture
- Be prepared with leather hard and dry greenware for this class
- Textured work made in class
- Creating texture with coloured slip
- Using colour in creative ways
- Paper transfers and using stencils with engobes
- Layering techniques to create depth
- Be prepared with recently made work before leather hard but not wet.
- Some pices made in class
- UNDERGLAZES, OXIDES, GLAZES
- Advanced underglazes, using as over glazes and more
- Majolica – how to make your own colours, using tin glazes and traditional techniques
- Using oxides – commercial or raw material
- Advanced glazing ideas
- You will need several bisque fired pieces for this class
- Using multiple techniques – texture, underglazes, engobes, washi, slip trailing, transfers and stencils
- Planning layers
- Design aspects of layering
- Work flow for layering
- WASHI, LUSTRES, DECALS
- The processes to make your own
- Using commercial washi and decals
- Firing cycles for lustres and decals
- Where to get your washi and decals
- How to use them uniquely
- Using metallic lustres such as gold
A “gold” firing will be done after this course.
This course is theory and demonstration centered. It is NOT focussed on making work – you will need pieces in various stages of dryness and bisque fired – they will need to be planned and fired beforehand! Clearly not suitable if you don’t know how to make your work! All materials will be provided, however you will need to purchase your own lustres and metallics!
Please bring your own hand towel and tools.