- This event has passed.
Slip Cast Mold Making For Potters – 5 Week Course
May 26 @ 9:30 am - 12:30 pm$595.00
Slip Cast Making For Potters – 5 Week Course
Starting Thursday 26th May 9.30am – 12.30pm
In this course you will learn the basics about how to make basic molds for potters.
Even if you are a hand builder or production thrower, being able to make a mold is very handy. You can short cut making keep cups by slip casting them, make drying slabs for your porcelain work, make amazing slump and drape mold for your hand building, or even do simple things like using a handle mold to make a fancy press handle for your thrown work. some potters make little texture molds for adding lugs and additions. How you use the learning from this course is up to your imagination – you will learn the basic skills and basic elements and then you an grow from there.
- Potter’s plaster – what, why, when and where….
- The ins and outs of casting slip
- The types of molds and what you need to watch for
- Make the plug for a simple drop out mold (eg, keep cup)
- Set up a casting box for molding the simple drop out mold
- Learn how to calculate the amount of plaster to mix and how to deal with the left over
- Cast your plug
- Learn clean up essentials
- Cast drape or slump molds with any excess plaster
- Prepare a plug for simple two piece mold
- Differences between casting slip and regular clay and why regular clay has difficulties being made into slip for casting
- Mix slip
- Clay weight, slip problems and corrections
- Slip cast drop out mold if its dry enough
- Prepare a drape mold and cast it in plaster
- Prepare and cast one or both sides of the two part mold
- Make small lug, texture or fancy handle plug and mold
- Finish two part mold.
- Cast and alter
- Drape and slump molding
- Using lugs and texture molds
Everything you need is provided…you might want to bring in a favourite item to cast! (Please call us on 0402263227 for assistance on what type of shape you can slipcast)