- This event has passed.
Colour In Pottery
December 19, 2021 @ 9:00 am - 4:00 pm$345.00
Colour In Pottery – Full Day Workshop
Sunday December 19th 9 am – 4 pm
Get the most out of Lynda in this full day workshop that will cover many aspects of creating colour in pottery.
This full day is for any students and potters who would like to learn more about how to use glazes (and make their own), how to use underglazes and stains and various decorating techniques using colour.
It is a tutorial style workshop with only a small practical component – you will need at least three bisque fired pieces on one dry or leather hard piece to practice on.
9 am – 11 am – The Chemistry of Colour – Theory
- What makes colour in pottery
- What role does temperature play
- How do glaze raw materials affect colour
- What are body stains
- What are underglazes
- What are underglaze transfers (washi)
- How do overglazes and decals work
- Why different clay affect the results
11:30 am – 1:30 pm – Using Underglazes, Oxides and Stains – Theory and Practice
- How to make a stained slip and when can it be used
- How else can you use body stains
- How can you use oxides
- When do you use underglazes
- What else can you do with underglazes
- Can I make my own underglazes
- Underglaze transfers
- Overglaze techniques such as Majolica
- Decals and transfers
2 pm – 4 pm – Glazing Practical – Theory and Practice
- What is the difference between commercial and self made glazes
- What is a brushing glaze
- What is a dipping glaze
- Brushing and dipping techniques
- The chemistry of layering glazes
- The practice of layering glazes
- Wax resist with glazes
- Preventing glazing errors
- Don’t let it stick to the kiln shelf!
Colour is an essential area of learning in pottery. The more control you have of colour, the more creative you can be!
Come to one of the last workshops being presented by Lynda (her retirement is imminent)!!!!